torsdag den 28. februar 2013

Where does your baby sleep?


According to my calendar it is Spring tomorrow. I know it, my neighbor knows it. But it like the weather newer knows it, although it is the same time every year.

I wanted to share a danish tradition with you. Here it is very common that babies sleep outside in prams. All three of my children have done it, also through the winter. The healthcare advises that our babies sleep inside if the degrees is below 14 F.

For me it has made life so much easier because I do not accidently wake up the little ones and they sleep so much better in the fresh air. And it is easy to go shopping with the pram and the baby in it.

Now you probably wonder if they are cold lying in their pram. No not at all. I ensure to put them in warm clothes and a nice warm sleeping bag called Voksi.

Some years ago there was a huge debate about a danish mother who let her toddler sleep outside a restaurant in NY. The story went world wide. Everywhere people were in chock. In America because she let her baby sleep out side and in Denmark because your could be arrested for letting your baby sleep outside the restaurant. Have I done so? Yes! It is very common here in Denmark.

You can read an article about the subject here at BBC

Where does your baby sleep? and why have you chosen to let your baby sleep inside or outside?
lease let me know. I am very curious to learn about your traditions.


1 kommentar:

  1. How interesting! Both of my children have slept in their cribs in their rooms for both naps and at night. However, they did both sleep in bassinets next to me the first 2 months. We are from Texas (United States). I did recently read that your country has a lower mortality rate in infants and thought I would research a bit. Where does your child sleep at night?

    SvarSlet